Friday, November 7, 2014

Topic 1: Banned Books... Topic 2: Your Bookshelf





Banned Books by ALA and reasoning:

1. Fifty Shades of Gray:
 ( Only heard about but would watch the movie coming out soon)
 -Reasoning for banning: Offensive language, and sexually explicit material

2. The Hunger Games:
(Watched Movie)
 -Reasoning for banning: Anti-ethnic, anti-family, insensitivity, offensive language, occult/satanic, and violence

3. To Kill a Mocking Bird:
 (Read in high school)
 -Reasoning for banning: offensive language and racism

4. The Catcher and the Rye:
 (Only heard about, but will not likely read)
-Reasoning for banning: offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

The reasoning for banning these books is not fair because it goes against the First Amendment (Freedom of Speech).  If the libraries and/or schools are worried about the material these books entail, then maybe we should implement a Parental Advisory Explicit Content on books. Books should not be banned, but access should be limited for underage children.

 Current Books on Bookshelf:

My passion is healthy cooking, so all of my books in my home are cookbooks: 

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book [Book]Julia Child : The Way to Cook
Wolf Gang Puck: Makes it Healthy
Julia Delia Croce: Pasta Recipes
 Better Homes and Garden: New Cook Book

 Most of these books were given to me as a gift from my mother, she has been collecting cookbooks for years. Other cookbooks I have bought, were from an used bookstore called Smith Family Bookstore located in Eugene, Oregon. These types of books will forever be in my collection because my taste in cooking will not change. I enjoy cooking healthy options with comfort food as alternative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment